There is a huge range of work opportunities in adult social care tailored to various lifestyles and individual needs. Whether you are looking for a career change, thinking of returning to the sector or starting your working life from school or college, adult social care has much to offer.
It doesn’t matter how old you are or your qualifications. Adult social care offers a
range of different job roles at all levels. You can, for example, enter the sector without
any prior qualifications or experience. You will be offered opportunities to undertake a
range of training and qualifications to help build your skills, knowledge and experience
to support you with any personal career development. However you may be expected to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check that confirms your suitability to work with vulnerable adults.
Somewhere in your community there’s a job that you can do to support others. If you like
working with people, social care work offers a worthwhile job that can turn into a
rewarding long-term career.
Depending on your role, it is likely that no two days will be the same. You can gain an
enormous sense of personal achievement from knowing that your job is supporting
people and contributing to making a positive difference and enhancing their everyday
living, health and well-being.
If you want a career that offers:
• job satisfaction
• good long term employment prospects and career development prospects
• good training leading to qualifications
• the chance to make a difference to people’s lives
• work in an environment to suit your preference
• a job where every day is different
• flexibility to fit round family or other commitments
…then social care is for you.
• a friendly and caring approach
• a genuine desire to help people
• the ability to relate to people from a wide variety of backgrounds
• tact and sensitivity
• a respectful approach to clients
• patience and a sense of humour
• reliability and flexibility
• team working skills and the ability to use your own initiative
• the ability to work to health and safety guidelines
• the ability to remain calm under pressure